Biltong Canada products are packaged in high barrier (3 layer) food grade Stand Up Pouches. Oxygen scavengers / oxygen absorbers are added to enclosed packaging to help remove or decrease the level of oxygen in the package. We pack our biltong at, or below the VIHA required low water activity (Aw) level, and with the addition vinegar in our recipe we lower the pH to make our product shelf stable without the use of Sodium Nitrite. Our pouches are also heat sealed during packaging and have a zip closure to reseal after opening for your convenience.
Storage guidelines for packaged biltong
Biltong packaged as described above can be stored in a cool place away from direct sunlight for 3 - 6 months unrefrigerated. We however label with a BB date of 4 months, to ensure the biltong is eaten at its best. We are small batch producer, so that ensures we have a high turnover of stock.
- Once opened, store the uneaten contents in a brown paper bag in a dry cupboard.
- It is advisable to consume the biltong within 3-4 days of opening. The biltong will continue to dry out, over time, getting harder. It very rarely lasts that long anyway, you'll normally consume the whole pack long before that.
- For the whole biltong sticks, If you don’t plan to eat it as soon as you receive it, it can be frozen very successfully until required. When opening we recommend you remove the brown paper wrapping, then open the vacuum sealed inner pouch, rewrap the biltong stick in the brown paper outer wrap and store uneaten portion in a cool dry place. Always ensure your hands are clean and dry when handling the biltong stick as that could introduce mould from the environment.
More Biltong Storage guidelines -
Biltong stored under the right conditions in paper bag ie dry, cool, room temperature will last for months, it will continue to dry out as the moisture continues to wick away.
- NEVER store biltong in a sealed plastic bag or closed container as it is "unable to breathe" and will "sweat" and could develop mold).
- It should be stored in a cool, dry and well-ventilated space, preferably in a breathable bag (e.g. brown bag).
- For long-term storage, biltong can be very successfully frozen. Biltong vacuum sealed and frozen will last for months and when defrosted will have very similar eating qualities to when you froze it. Do not vacuum pack and freeze sliced biltong as it will "clump together" and become a solid oily mass when defrosted. Sliced biltong can be frozen loosely in a brown paper bag
We hope this helps you understand the storage of your biltong better and clears up any misconceptions.